Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Accha lagta hai

I got an early morning call 2-3 days back from Sushila ji Bohra saying Sunita got through the exam. "WOW...Thank you so much GOD...you made my day!!!!!!!!"....was all I could say before calling Sunita to wish her.

Now coming to Sunita...I met her 2-3 months back when she was preparing for II grade teachers exam alongwith her M.A. Eng Hons. final yr. exams, which were falling on the same time. Meanwhile, just for experience and practice, she's utilising her B.Ed. degree in teaching senior secondory students. No doubt she's been a very good student in her school.....You guys must be wondering whats SO Special in this C.V. I am writing about..... The wonder is, all this has been achieved without the eyes.....SUNITA IS HANDICAPPED BY Sight....I am not writing blind coz its just the eye sight she doesn't have, rest she's brighter than any of us. Writing handicapped is also very wrong in her terms because thats one word not in her dictionary....

Sushila ji Bohra, an eminent social worker in Jodhpur, runs this Blind School (with hostel) for both girls and boys. I am her neighbour and thats how I was introduced to Sunita. I got this privilege of being Sunita's reader for a month, just before her II grade exam.

The first day I met her she said "Shrutiji, mujhe padhane ka bahut shauk hai,isiliye maine B.Ed. kiya, or ab II grade ka exam ki oppurtunity mili hai to mai isse nahi khona chahti. Waise to hamare liye material kuch hota nahi (she meant, in Braille), par agar aap ya Shradha ji (my sister), mujhe ye book read kar de to bada accha hoga".....

and thats where my learning began....I was actually amazed by seeing the way they lived in hostel...anything they did like wearing the same footwear (from among many kept together) in both feet or taking the right pair of kurta and pyjama from the hook, handling the mobile perfectly well or just picking up the correct book from their pile of identicle books......all this seemed so difficult to me....from their eyes....but for them it was actually nothing...just their daily routine!!!!!!

Once Sunita came with 2 books to read from...kept them on the table...then gave me one and said "ye nayi hai, isme se padho..", I actually asked her "Sunita, how did you differentiate between the 2 ??? " She asked me to rub my hands on both...and I got my answer...their eyes are in their hands!!!!!

Talking to her, made me realise that any of my problems which I crib about is just nothing in front of the difficulties she's faced uptill now....writer (for exams) not coming on time or refusing at the last moment when she's waiting in the examination hall...or getting to the wrong examination centre just because she was dependent on someone elses eyes.....not only this, her school teacher refused to give her highest marks when she deserved it (but later her brilliance and hard work made the teacher realise his mistake)!!!!! .....she was also denied the writer she chose for this II grade exam, and had to find some other person..... Believe me whenever I feel low about anything or I start listing my problems, Sunita automatically comes to my mind and I feel blessed, as if my problems are no problems anymore!!!!

Today Sunita is a well qualified student, you'll be surprised to know that she can very well handle the computer. The school provides them with softwares they require, printer which type in braille and ofcourse very good teachers for their support.

Visiting that school was another pleasure. They had everything that You or I have used, played in school. From maps to books to computers and games- cricket, snakes and ladder...and all in their language, in their form.

This was Sunita I came across but there is a complete lot in this school - many students, brilliant, achievers,gold medalists in academics as well as sports....all on the path to brighten their lives!!!!!

I wish Sunita and all others ALL THE VERY BEST.....GOD BLESS THEM!!!!

Being a part of this society, taking everything from it, try giving anything which you can and are able to..

Aisa kuch karke dekhiye...ACCHA LAGTA HAI...




1 comment:

  1. I am sure Gud di and Parul will agree with me
    (they were Sunita's reader in my absence).

    ReplyDelete